Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Independence Days Challenge update

Am keeping up with the challenge so far. On days 1 and 2, I preserved things - dehydrating apples from our tree and making chutney with figs from my mother-in-law's tree.

On day 3, I cooked something new - making a caffeine-free coffee substitute from dandelion roots. I had done it before as a teenager, but the result was disgusting. This time I followed Euell Gibbons' instructions - cooking them on a very low temperature (around 100 celsius), for almost 4 hours. It wasn't too bad this time!

(First I tried doing it in the popcorn maker like we roast coffee, but the dandelion roots were so light they kept flying out onto the bench and floor.)

Then on day 4 (today), I recorded another show on foraging for National Radio's This Way Up with Simon Morton. I'm thinking maybe that counts as 'work on community food security'?

As before, I got tongue tied and said silly things, but at least I now have faith that they will edit it so that I magically sound more coherent than I really am! I think it goes to air in a couple of weeks and it will be the first in a monthly series.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Oooh! Please can you post when your recording is going to be on National?
Fig chutney! Yummmo. Fresh figs...you are lucky! We have tiny tiny little figs on a 2 foot or so high tree. Grow little tree, grow!

Cally said...

Soooo - just how bad is "not too bad" =she asks suspiciously=!!

Figs - yum - I sooo miss my tree that we had in town. My one here is like Ruth's - maybe 3 feet high. It will have to get a lot bigger before we get any figs, as I planted it in the chook run as shade and food for them as well as food for me.

I nearly always listen to This Way Up so hope I don't miss the one you are on.

As for independence day - on Friday I harvested chestnuts, and on Friday night I failed to make pumpkin and chestnut soup, instead I cut my finger, went to A&E 40 mins away, got 3 stitches and have done stuff all since! Not feeling very independent at all!

Anna said...

Yes, please please let us know when that's going to air!

I haven't messed with dandelion roots since the ill-fated dandelion and burdock experiment of 2003 - took me hours and tasted revolting.

I think you may have inspired me with the Independence Day challenge. It's a great idea. Thank you for pointing it out

Johanna Knox said...

Ruth & Cally - all the best with your fig trees!

Cally - I'm sorry to hear about your stitches. How frustrating.

Re the dandelion coffee - it was very mild and seriously, really quite pleasant. Main drawback is how many roots you have to dig to get just one pot of coffee. They shrink a lot in the roasting process!

Anna, if you get the chance I'd be interested to hear about the dandelion and burdock experiment!!!