Saturday, May 23, 2009

Independence Days update

The sugar beets aside, this is what I've managed to do over the last couple of weeks ...

Plant something: More peas and snow peas. Lettuces. Leeks. Red bunching onions. Plantago. The peas and lettuces are looking good so far. Nothing else has popped its head up at all yet.

Harvest something: Chamomile flowers (the more you harvest, the more they produce). Self-heal (starting to take over the herb garden). Wild red clover flowers. The last green tomatoes. More dandelions for cooked greens and coffee.

Preserve something: Dried the chamomile flowers, self-heal and red clover flowers. (The clover I'm going to send out in little packages to some people by way of a token apology. A few weeks back I was meant to give a foraging presentation - but for various reasons, at the last minute I couldn't. I still feel crap about it.)

Eat the food: Made a new recipe for lambs brain curry with my son. We are ever trying to build up our repertoire with cheap cuts and offal ... The lambs brain curry is a good one because you add the lambs brain at the last minute. That means you can take out some of the curry before adding the brains and reserve it to serve to those who don't eat offal or any meat at all.

4 comments:

Cally said...

Okay, so I checked your link to red clover. I haven't used herbs much, so I'm wondering - is there an advantage to drying things like red clover (I don't care about chamomile because I think it tastes disgusting) or is it as effective using it fresh? Other than the obvious advantage of being able to store them.

I have to admit the only herb tea I have liked to date is fresh lemon balm. Sadly it has died off for the winter, and yet again, I forgot to dry any before it did so.

Johanna Knox said...

Hmm .. well as you no doubt know, drying is good for some stuff to help break it down and make some constituents more accessible - but I have no idea if clover is one of them. I would have thought not, since it's so delicate already. I would think fresh is just as good if not better for clover. I'll see if I can look it up, and let you know!!!

Sounds like your lemon balm was very successful. I have not yet managed to get mine flourishing. :(

Gill said...

I liked the mention of lambs brains in this post. We grew up on a farm and ate them crumbed as kids and loved them! Having lost touch with farm life I never get the oppourtunity to use them now. Dad has served them to my kids only to have them turn their noses up. I can however get them to eat leeks, brussel sprouts and bacon bone soup which I wouldn't touch as a child.

Ruth said...

Far out, you go girl!! Sheep's brain!!
Do you make tea with your clover? I hear it's very good medicinally.